Melcher-Sowers Funeral Home was founded in 1898 as the Groven Funeral Home, a combination furniture store and undertaking establishment, located at the present Elks building on the corner of Ash and Wayne Streets. In 1930 the funeral home relocated across the street, where Murray, Wells, Wendeln and Robinson is currently located, at 326 N. Wayne Street.
In 1952 Louis and Lorraine Melcher joined Groven Funeral Home and purchased the business in 1956. In 1957 he moved the funeral home to its present location at 646 W. High St. and changed the name to Melcher Funeral Home.
In 1984 Jerry and Pam Sowers purchased the business and in 1986 changed the name to Melcher-Sowers Funeral Home. In 1991 construction began on a 10,000 square foot addition, which included a new chapel, coffee lounge, restrooms and new offices. This addition made the building handicap accessible, including the original building. The addition was created to better serve families in a larger, more comfortable environment. Melcher-Sowers Funeral Home is now celebrating over 100 years of service to the families of Piqua.